HDANZ is designated by the Director General of Health to function as an Auditing Agency according to section 32 and 33 of the Health and Disability Services Safety Act 2001 (the Act).
We have been designated to audit all services covered by the Act because the Director General of Health has deemed that we comply with the Health and Disability Services (Safety) Act 2001 and:
- Have the technical expertise to audit services covered by the Act
- Have effective systems for auditing
- Have effective arrangements to avoid or manage conflicts of interest
- Administer our systems and arrangements properly and competently
HDANZ is approved to audit the following types of health and disability services for the achievement of their certification from the Ministry of Health:
Hospital Care including:
- Geriatric services
- Medical services
- Surgical services
- Maternity services
- Mental health services
- Children’s health services
Rest Home Care
Residential Disability Care including services for people with:
- Intellectual disabilities
- Physical disabilities
- Psychiatric support needs
- Sensory disabilities
Services that are required to meet the requirements of the Health and Disability Services (Safety) Act 2001 are audited by HDANZ as a Designated Auditing Agency to the following standards, with the Ministry of Health issuing the certificate:
- Health and Disability Services (Core) Standard (NZS 8134.1:2008)
- Health and Disability Services (Restraint Minimisation and Safe Practice) Standard (NZS 8134.2:2008)
- Health and Disability Services (Infection Prevention and Control) Standard (NZS 8134.3:2008)
Audits are completed in accordance with the Designated Auditing Agency Handbook – Ministry of Health Auditor Handbook. The outcome of this process is usually up to a 3 or 4 year certificate with a condition of certification that a Surveillance Audit is required to be completed by the auditing agency at the mid-point of the certification period. The MoH may also require a follow-up such as a written progress report.
Should you make changes to your service and require a Provisional or Partial Provisional Audit HDANZ is able to schedule these audits at short notice to meet your needs.
Be sure to always be aware of the conditions that have been issued by the MoH along with the length of your certification and expiry date.
Please contact us if you would like to know more about how HDANZ can assist with your Health and Disability Services (Safety) Act audit requirements. HDANZ clients also receive access to our onTrack programme.